Home > 3K, 42k, Marathon, Milo Marathon > Gerald Anderson just finished a “3K Marathon”

Gerald Anderson just finished a “3K Marathon”

That according to him (Gerald Anderson). I’m not a fan, duh?! But months have passed and I still cannot move on to what I heard last July 4, 2010 during the awarding program on the Metro Manila Milo Marathon Eliminations.

Gerald said, “I am so happy I just finished my first marathon.”

JourneyingJames said, “You wish!”

Actually, he just finished a 3K fun run. So what’s wrong?

Let me explain to you: When we say marathon- it has a distance of 42.195 kilometers (26.2 miles). So a 3-kilometer run is just a warm up of the 42K. Saying you finished a 3K marathon is hilarious because runners know that a 3K fun run is way too much different from a Full Marathon (42K).

It is like saying you just killed a 3-inch shark with bare hands. Hilarious at best. Next time, educate yourself.

Lesson: Don’t use the word “marathon” with a 3K, 5K or 10K run. Its so uncool to “run a 3K marathon.” Still, a lot of teens were titallating to take a pic with Gerald. Oh btw, Karylle and Toni Gonzaga ran during the event too.

After Running a "3K Marathon?" (Image from E.Esguerra's Flickr)

Some acceptable usages of marathon would include:

21K = Half Marathon distance (half of 26.2 mile)

42K or 42.195K = Full Marathon

50K or more = UltraMarathon

Watching movies till the morning = Movie Marathon. Oh, this is different na pala.

More Photos from the Milo Manila Elims in E.Esguerra’s Flickr Account.

1. September 13th, 2010 at 08:52 | #1

i like calling the half-marathon as Pikermi.

journeyingjames Reply:

yup! that’s a better way to call it. para runner’s lingo

2. September 13th, 2010 at 14:26 | #2

I love the Watching movies till the morning Marathon! lol. Yeah, that is some funny stuff man. Love how people can just kill that 3 inch shark.

journeyingjames Reply:

hilarious right?!!

3. September 14th, 2010 at 01:39 | #3

hahaha… hayaan mo na pre. ganun talaga. for them marathon nayan basta foot race. hehehe

journeyingjames Reply:

ahaha! because of this post, naka-move on na ako.

4. September 14th, 2010 at 03:03 | #4

ay nako nga naman.

journeyingjames Reply:

an indirect insult to us marathoners, ryt kassy?

5. September 14th, 2010 at 17:20 | #5

I actually finished 500m-dash for 84 times already, so that also sums up for 42k. I’m a Marathoner now, lol!

journeyingjames Reply:

congrats pedz! that means you’re better than gerald..ahahaha

6. October 31st, 2010 at 04:28 | #6

there is only one marathon. and it’s 42.195 kilometers.

7. vanj
    December 11th, 2010 at 05:59 | #7

haynako..

journeyingjames Reply:

with matching “kamot-ulo”

8. January 17th, 2011 at 08:41 | #8

LOL. yung lang. LOL.

9. Erik
    January 17th, 2011 at 12:27 | #9

stupid punk ass.

10. gideon
    May 24th, 2011 at 05:45 | #10

laugh trip talaga yun pre nung narinig natin yun lastyear. hahahaha

11. pench
    July 19th, 2011 at 04:05 | #11

I remember I did that same mistake. It was my first 3k run at the NatGeo Run 2010. I was so excited that I posted as a status message on YM, “I’m so excited for my first marathon!” Then somebody asked me what distance will I be running (maybe he was curious if I was going to do a half or full marathon). I replied proudly, “3K!” That’s when I knew that 3k, 5k or even 10k or 15k is not a marathon, when he told me the distance of the marathon. That was quite embarrassing. Anyway, at least, it got me to do some research about the marathon, not only its correct definition but a little bit of its origin, how it started. Today, when I hear newbie runners say they will run a marathon, I’d just think, maybe they mean 3k? hehehe…For us runners and according to the dictionary, marathon is 42k, half marathon or pikermi is 21k.

journeyingjames Reply:

yeah! glad that people are now being educated on how the word “marathon” should be used.
    more runs to come ms.pench!

12. nikki valenciano
    April 1st, 2011 at 12:51 | #12

oh, ive always love reading your blogs.. but not this post.. i just got a bit sad that you found it hilarious.. i mean, it may seem a great insult to you marathoners for people who consider short distance running as marathon.. oh well, maybe i just expected too much from people like you who really have that burning passion for what they love doing.. ive always pictured you to be encouraging and pushing to inspire rather that (you know) laugh at this kind of stuff..

i am not a fan of him either… just expressing my sadness over the matter..

oh well, so much about impressions..

sad sad..

Chris Reply:

Gerald said, “I am so happy I just finished my first marathon.”

JourneyingJames said, “You wish!”

I totally agree to you Nikki. Not just because one has finished a 42.195 kilometers marathon that one have be arrogant about newbie runner’s lack of knowledge with the difference between a race and a marathon.

This is very sad… I was hoping marthoners would be encouraging newbies, but this blog made newbies a laughing stock.

1. No trackbacks yet.